Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

Labor day weekend started out okay, we hit the dollar night at the carnival. We only made it on to 2 rides before the fireworks began. But the girls had a blast. We have never done the carnival rides before so they thought it was a huge treat.

We had to race to make it to the fireworks, but we made it just in time.

Lucy oohed, aahed, and clapped after each firework. I think that was her favorite part of the weekend.

Sunday we had a big birthday bash for all the recent birthdays then headed to the band concert.
If you're not from Payson, I don't think you would get into the band concerts. Growing up they were one of my favorite things. Everyone in town goes to the park and listens to a band. It's such a small town thing and simple, but I have so many fun memories of this. I know it sounds so dumb. Matt dreads it, but it's a highlight of the weekend. During the band concert is when it all started turning south. There was a torrential downpour, and there we were with all the kids and we had walked to the park. We tried to huddle under the trees to wait it out, but it was getting worse by the minute. So Matt and I made a run for it, by the time we got home we were drenched.
The Parade was the next morning. Mari had said her prayers and asked that there wouldn't be rain for the parade, so we were hopeful. It was looking good when it started, and the kids were happy. Lucy was waving to everyone and everything.

It started sprinkling about 2 floats into the parade, but the kids were still happy.


Then another wave of torrential downpour came, and everyone started scattering. First we hid under some trees. Poor Lucy was not happy!

When the trees weren't enough cover, we went under someone's carport to wait out the rest of the parade. My sister Steph was in the parade, so we had to wait it out to see her. Mari, Cody and Abby were the only ones who braved the storm out on the street. (They are the pink blob in the middle of the street. . .well, left pink blob)


Finally!! She came on the very last float. It was all worth it in the end. The kids all thought it was so fun even if it was cold, wet, and freezing.

The rest of the day was nice after the rain left. And to top it all off my cute Grandma won 3 first prizes in the pie competition, and $150 bucks. She was so excited. Isn't she cute!?All in all it was a good day. Good food, good company. It can't get better than that!

3 comments:

HeatherK said...

I MISS you guys!!! Sounds like you had such a fun time.. it rained on us too! I loved looking at all your pictures.. it was like I was there with you guys! Lets get together soon before you big vacation! That is so cool about the hot air balloon! I wanna hear all about it! sooo call me!

Kate said...

Was this for Onion Days? I can't believe that you guys braved the weather - poor Lu looks so pathetic in that parade picture! :) Glad you had fun.

On a side note, did I catch a glimpse of a CELL PHONE in that fireworks shot? And if so, is it YOURS?!?? Chris is gonna hear about this. Now we truly are the ONLY ones still in the dark ages.

Lindsay K. said...

It was Onion Days, it was kind of a bummer. It wasn't our cell. My mom loaned it to us that night, because she knew we would never find each other if we didn't have one. We really need to bring Matt and Chris into the present.